February 10th, 2016
Courtesy of The Curvy Carrot
- 3/4 cup Michigan Brand cottage cheese
- 3 eggs, separated
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Pinch cinnamon
- Pinch nutmeg, grated
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon orange zest or 1/8 teaspoon orange oil (or as desired, to taste)
- Combine the cottage cheese, egg yolks, melted butter, orange juice, vanilla and almond extracts, and process until smooth, about 30 seconds.
- Stop the processor and add the cinnamon, nutmeg, flour, sugar, salt and orange zest. Process again until smooth and transfer the mixture to a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, in the bowl of your standing mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whisk the egg whites until stiff but not dry.
- Very carefully (and using a rubber spatula), add one large scoop of the egg whites to the pancake batter, and lightly fold them into the batter until smooth.
- Gently fold the remaining egg whites into the batter until incorporated.
- With a lightly buttered or sprayed nonstick pan or griddle on medium heat, scoop about 1/3 cup of the batter onto the pan and cook on each side until lightly golden, about 1-2 minutes each side. Serve immediately.
Makes 2 large servings (about 8 5″ pancakes)